The contest launched by Vivercid is located in the last section, in the absence of selecting the winning plantation.
The contest was born earlier this year with the aim of spreading knowledge about the appropriate handling to achieve the best performance and result in the plantations of this protected variety, the Barberina.
In the first phase, a qualified jury was commissioned to visit every one of the plantations submitted to the contest. In this first visit, a number of parameters are notably assessed, the soil analysis, the shape of the tree, pruning and Handlings, flowering, percentage of juice, among others are presented.
Among all the plantations which were entered in the contest, We selected four that were considered the best in the evaluation of the jury, the following:
– Amparo Sánchez Cariñena (Alberto Cortés) -Vilamarxant (Valencia)
– Antonio Martínez Legaz and sons S.L - Lora del rio (Sevilla)
– Juan Diaz - Peñaflor (Sevilla)
– Orange groves of the river Piedra (Jaime Genesca) -Lepe (Huelva)
In this first evaluation took into account the production of three campaigns (2015, 2016 and 2017) and estimated production for the year 2018.
In terms of the analysis of fruit, different samples were collected, before the start of the campaign collection to analyze the different properties of each plantation, as it is the juice, bark, weight, etc..
At the end of April, the jury completed data analysis of culture differences and various properties of quality. After this visit, of the 4 plantations that were still participating in the contest, We selected the 2 last-finalists:
– Orange groves of the river Piedra (Jaime Genesca)
– Juan Diaz
Between these two latest plantations involved in this new contest launched by Vivercid, the winner will be selected during the months of June and July, taking into account various parameters, among those who are: the ventilation into the shaft, growth habit, the uniformity of sizes and shapes, the abundance of flowering and different organoleptic characteristics, among other ones .
Given the novelty of this competition has been considered to have specialists of recognised prestige in the sector to evaluate each one of the plantations to following a strict parameters, and these members are:
– Don Jose Antonio Pina Lorca, agricultural technical engineer to the plant health service (Ministry of Presidency and agriculture, Fisheries and Food) up 2014. He was awarded the Medal of agricultural merit, in class of Commander, granted by SM the King of Spain.
– Don Augusto Carmona Garcia - Olalla, that was until 2011 Advisor technical specialist in Citrus Research Institute and training Agraria y Pesquera of the Junta de Andalucía.
– Don José Domenech Fornes, Agricultural technical engineer and Technical Director and Adviser of Vivercid, with a long career in the agricultural sector.
The prize for the best grower and planting of the variety Barberina is equipped with ten thousand euros (10.000€).
The winning plantation will be announced during the month of July individual winner, and in general, to all participants.
The awards ceremony will take place at the Valencia trade fair grounds Pavilion during the celebration of the international exhibition of plants and flowers, Iberflora, participation Vivercid, and it will take place the days 3, 4 and 5 of October.
During the next few months to be announced the day and time accurate in which will take place, inside the exhibition pavilion, the awards ceremony, where they will be invited to attend all participants, as well as the jury, who will make an assessment of the process of the contest.